Monday, February 3, 2014

Two By Two Experience

What I find remarkable during the seven years that I was walking in the Way are the fruits.  Many families have chosen to be open to life.  Some families have 5-14 children.  There are also families who have chosen to adopt children.  

Most remarkable of all are the youth who are in the Way.  We get about 100 youth eager to join scrutacio, where they read and meditate on the word of God (Bible).  Many single people walking in the Way are also choosing to remain celibate until marriage. 

Another impressive thing are the missionaries.  Many of the seminarians and priests do missionary work. Lay people are also doing missionary work as single persons or as families. There are mission families being sent out on missions, and many of these missionaries have learned to speak different languages.     

My first time going out to spread the Good News was a fearful experience. Even the thought of going from door to door brought fear to my heart.  "What if they mistake us for Jehovah Witnesses?"  I kept asking myself.  In my head, I imagined doors slamming in my face.  This fear of rejection is my reason for not wanting to evangelize the first time I started walking.  I also remember what I did when Jehovah Witnesses came knocking on my door........I pretended I was not home.  

It is not very common for Catholics to evangelize the way the Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons have been doing.  In fact, it is very rare.  Yet, did not Christ authorize His Church to go out and spread the Gospel? Nevertheless, this experience taught me a valuable lesson.  Today, I now entertain those Jehovah Witnesses who come knocking on my door.  I do not turn them away nor do I pretend not to be at home.  I learned to dialogue with them....but that is another story.    

My first two by two experience (yes, we go in pairs just like the Apostles) was in Yona. It was an area where most low income families live. The houses there were very standard and all looked the same.   We went door to door asking if they want to hear a song or to say a prayer for someone in their family.  Many of these people received us in their homes, and most of them chose to hear a song.  Luckily, one of us brought a guitar. A few chose a prayer, which we did.  One family even offered us food and drinks, which was very nice of them. 

My second experience was not too long ago.  This time, we went to a much more affluent neighborhood.  Most of the homes in that neighborhood were very nice and well-kept.  We spent about two hours in that neighborhood, but only three people received us.  We were rejected by everyone else including the home that has a sign outside the door stating, "This is a Catholic home." I guess they thought we were Jehovah Witnesses.    

No comments:

Post a Comment