Monday, February 10, 2014

Charismatic Catholics

I was very impressed with Pope Francis when he held Pentecost Mass last year.  He was addressing members of the Neocatechumenal Way, the Charismatic Renewal, Focolare Movement, Regnum Christi, Communion and Liberation, and others.  

He stated that diversity is a blessing, and I find this to be true.  The Body of Christ is one, but there is diversity among its many members.  The gifts of the Holy Spirit are many.  

I am not a Charismatic Catholic, but I was intrigued by them when I first heard of them.  I learned that they sing a lot.  The Neocatechumenal Way has a lot of songs - most of them from the Holy Bible, but that certainly doesn't make the Neocatechumenal Way "charistmatic". There are many Christian songs that are very beautiful. This year, I learned that Pope Francis appointed a charismatic priest in one of Brazil's struggling churches.  It turned out that this charismatic priest is actually reviving the church in that the pews are now filling up.  This is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.  

Music has its own way of speaking and preaching to people, especially when used in the right way.  It is also twice the prayer.  At any rate, I found a short video of that charismatic priest who was able to use his gift from the Holy Spirit to bring people back into the Catholic Church.  

Also, it is interesting to note this biblical verse in the Holy Bible:  

1 Corinthians 13:1  If I speak in the tongues of men or of angel, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.    

Tongues of angels???  I guess the Apostle Paul was a Charismatic. 










No comments:

Post a Comment