Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Denver's New Deacons

There were six new transitional deacons in Denver.  One of them is Deacon John Almeida from the Neocatechumenal Way.  On this blog, I will only post about Deacon John Almeida's story.  However, you can read about the other five deacons including Almeida here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deacon John Almeida

Deacon John Almeida was raised in the rural town of Heath in western Massachusetts. The fourth of eight children, he remembers faith being a central part of his family and his upbringing. His father taught him the value of hard work, praying and the importance of Sunday Mass.
At the age of 12, Deacon Almeida’s mother died in an automobile accident, leaving his father to raise the eight children on his own, whose ages ranged from 17 to one. This put a huge strain on Deacon Alemeida’s father, whose health began to decline, and it also put a strain on his own relationship with the Lord.
“I became very embittered and closed to the Lord and in many ways also to my family members,” Deacon Alemeida sad. “I still went to Mass and prayed at home, but my heart was far from the Lord.  I looked for happiness in having money, success, having friends and being educated, but I wasn’t at peace and couldn’t fill the void in my heart.”
This all changed when he became part of a Neocatechumenal Way community.
“It was through the Neocatechumenal Way community that I discovered my vocation,” Deacon Almeida said. “It was the place that I first ever heard the words that God loved me as a sinner.”
Deacon Almeida is excited to partake in the moments of grace which the Lord uses the priest to facilitate.
“I am really looking forward to being a part of the most precious moments of peoples’ lives, whether that is the baptism of a child, a wedding, or even a funeral, they are all special moments of grace where the love of God for man can be made manifest,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment